The Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO) is managing the Coronavirus Third Sector Information Hub, which will be constantly updated with information and resources relevant to the third and voluntary sectors during this time.
Currently, SCVO’s focus is on encouraging organisations to stay up to date with official guidance whilst also reviewing the specific risks that COVID-19 poses to their organisation and service, so they can plan to mitigate the impact wherever possible.
They are advocating that organisations focus now on considered planning around service continuity and how to manage risk, particularly around:
- looking after beneficiaries and service users
- looking after employees
- buildings and facilities
- finance and fundraising
SCVO is also encouraging people to adhere to the following principles, in order to help minimise the impact of COVID-19:
- cleanliness – follow the handwashing and hygiene guidance; if you are showing any symptoms, however minor, please follow self-isolation guidance
- neighbourliness – checking on neighbours, particularly older people and vulnerable groups, to see if they need assistance. Communicating by phone or text is preferable to face to face contact
They will also be establishing two communication lists for regular updates:
- the COVID-19 Stakeholder Network, where SCVO will provide regular updates to Third Sector Interfaces (TSIs), intermediaries and other organisations and bodies who can cascade information to their members, networks and contacts
- the COVID-19 Voluntary Sector Bulletin, in order to communicate directly with charities, voluntary and community organisations, and social enterprises
As the situation evolves, SCVO anticipate that they will provide more information and guidance on areas where specific support is needed, such as around funding and volunteering.
SCVO is also gathering information from their members and the wider voluntary and third sectors on the key challenges organisations are facing, as well the types of support needed to enable organisations to respond effectively.
Experiences and thoughts on where additional support is required can be shared by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please visit the Coronavirus Third Sector Information Hub.