Step up to the Challenge and Volunteer!
Being a volunteer is simple – it involves giving up some of your time and energy for free to help other people and your local community while hopefully helping yourself too.
The benefits to you as a volunteer are immense and varied with people volunteering for many different reasons.
- Get you involved in exciting and challenging new activities while meeting new people.
- Help to boost your CV and give you much needed skills for progressing into the workplace.
- Help build your confidence and inspire you to make a difference.
Saltire Awards – recognising you for your volunteering
Endorsed by Scottish Government and Voluntary Action Scotland, Saltire Awards recognise you, as a young person aged between 12 and 25 years, for your volunteering and help you to positively chart your volunteering journey. The Saltire Awards are progressive and not only can you move up between the different levels but you can enter at different stages depending on your journey into volunteering.
- The first step is THE CHALLENGE. Completed as part of a team, this first step introduces you to the idea of volunteering by offering a ‘taster’ experience. You can complete this as a stand alone Award and can also take part in more than one challenge.
- Following on from this is THE APPROACH. This award encourages volunteers to progress to regular individual volunteering. You can receive an Approach award for 10 and 25 hours of volunteering.
- The next step THE ASCENT recognises a sustained commitment to volunteering and encourages you to work towards and achieve you awards for 50, 100, 200 and 500 hours of volunteering.
- THE SUMMIT provides the opportunity for organisations to nominate their young volunteers for an award. There will be up to 12 Summit Awards presented each year in each local authority area. Nominated volunteers will have completed the Ascent Awards and will have demonstrated an outstanding contribution to volunteering.
- Having progressed through the levels to the Ascent stage you will be given the opportunity of becoming an AMBASSADOR for the Saltire Awards. As an Ambassador you can participate on the Summit Panel as well as getting involved in promoting the Awards locally.
For more information on the Saltire Awards and completing your hours, please contact the volunteering team on 01324 692000 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org