The deadline for written views on the Carer’s Allowance Supplement (Scotland) Bill is next Thursday 12th August.
Before the COVID-19 outbreak, there were an estimated 690,000 unpaid carers. According to Carers’ Scotland, this may have risen by around 400,000 at the height of the pandemic: there are however approximately only 83,000 recipients of Carer’s Allowance.
The Bill, currently at Stage 1 of the parliamentary process, provides for an increase in the amount of the carer’s allowance supplement for the period from Friday 1st October 2021 – Thursday 31st March 2022. Anyone who qualifies for this supplement will received the increased amount.
The Social Security (Scotland) Act 2018 set the initial amount that carers would receive for this period. The Bill will increase this amount by £231.40. It will also give Scottish Government the ability to increase the amount of a carer’s allowance supplement going forward. (Scottish Government recognises this supplement is not available to all unpaid carers, but considers that Carer’s Allowance targets those with “more intensive caring role and lower financial resilience”.)
The value of the supplement is based on increasing Carer’s Allowance to the level of Job Seekers Allowance, plus inflation.
There are 6 questions asked regarding the Bill, via an online form:
- What are your views on the increased payment of the Carer’s Allowance Supplement?
- Do you agree with increasing the December payment of Carer’s Allowance Supplement?
- Do you have any views on the Bill’s Financial Memorandum?
- Do you consider the increased payment the best way to support unpaid carers with the challenges faced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What level of parliamentary scrutiny do you think there should be for any future increases to the amount of Carer’s Allowance Supplement?
- Do you have any other views on the Bill?
You do not need to answer all the questions.
To submit your response, or for further information, please visit the Citizen Space page (the online form is linked towards the end of the page).
Alternatively, for further information on the Carer’s Allowance Supplement (Scotland) Bill (including a full overview), visit the Scottish Parliament website.