- This event has passed.
Big Dig: Bo’ness Community Activity Hub
September 25 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
For their final Big Dig September event (which coincide with Scottish Archaeology Month), Great Place Falkirk will be in Bo’ness on Saturday 25th September, 10am – 4pm with their travelling community hub, at the Kinneil Estate.
The Big Dig September events celebrate local archaeology and Falkirk’s past throughout the month, with previous events in Denny and Grangemouth.
People are welcome to drop by at any time to see the range of excavations, workshops, games, heritage tents, historical re-enactments, and medieval villages, amongst others.
There will also be:
- the chance to meet a traditional blacksmith from Reenactment Scotland, learn more about the craft and watch them work
- the Roman Antonine Guard re-enactment group, who will show what life was like on the Antonine Wall (complete with battle demonstrations)
- Highland regiment soldiers, with a demonstration of musket firing
- medieval tents, where people can learn about how medieval people lived in the area, and watch medieval weapons demonstrations
- Arming of the Knight, a demonstration showing the clothing and armour of a 12th Century knight
- archaeology workshops from Archaeology Scotland, including creating mock test pits and using mill stones
- the Renaissance Tent, where Renaissance armourers will take people through the weaponry on display, and period astronomers, who will show how people of the past saw the universe
- the Friends of Kinneil, who will be on hand to provide tours of the estate throughout the day
- finds from the archaeological excavation at Denny, as well as an Archaeology Scotland prize draw
Entry is free, and no booking is required.
For further information on all activities on the day, please visit the Great Place Falkirk Facebook page.