- This event has passed.
“Charity Counts” Volunteer Training Course: First Date
February 7, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
The Workers’ Educational Association (WEA), Volunteer Glasgow, and Maths Week Scotland are offering a development opportunity for people who are volunteering or interested in volunteering in charity shops in Glasgow.
“Charity Counts” is a free 4 week training course for volunteers who are interested in learning more about aspects of running a charity shop. The course takes place at the Volunteer Glasgow office, 10 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, G2 6LU, and runs for 2 hours each week, 10am – 12pm, on the following dates:
- Friday 7th February
- Friday 14th February
- Friday 21st February
- Friday 28th February
During the 4 sessions, volunteers will have the opportunity to develop their skills and knowledge about the business-related side of running a charity shop.
The course aims to support participants in:
- developing an understanding of the third sector (including charities, social enterprises, community and voluntary groups)
- developing a greater understanding of terms and explanations of budget, profit and loss
- developing an understanding of overheads and operating expenses associated with running a shop
- understanding how charities raise funds through merchandise, grants, sponsorship, sales and revenue streams, and online sales
- developing digital skills to use online sales platforms to estimate pricing and maximize income
- learning how to sell online, particularly by practicing selling on Facebook
The course will be led by a current charity shop manager and WEA tutor. Spaces are limited, with only 12 available. If the course is filled, those interested will be offered a place on the waiting list for future courses.
The deadline for bookings is Monday 3rd February.
To book your place, or for further information, please visit the Volunteer Glasgow website.