The Scottish Recovery Network (SRN) has developed and made available materials for organisations to deliver the SRN “Peer2Peer” course online.
The “Peer2Peer” course provides an opportunity for people with lived experience of mental health problems to develop their knowledge and skills in supporting others in their recovery journey. The course may be helpful for groups, projects, organisations, or services interested in developing peer support opportunities.
The challenges of COVID-19 led SRN to adapt their resources in order to pilot delivering the course online. The pilot was successful, and the associated resources (including Facilitator Guides and Participant Workbooks) are now available for other organisations to use so they can deliver their own online “Peer2Peer” course.
The “Peer2Peer” course is experiential and highly participative and the course structure is detailed below:
- Introduction to the course
- Session 1 – Recovery: Introduction to CHIME and personal recovery
- Session 2 – The peer relationship and peer values
- Session 3 – Preparing my recovery story
- Session 4 – Understanding impacts on mental health including social determinants of health, adversity, trauma and stigma
- Session 5 – Power, strengths and sharing our experiences
- Session 6 – Sharing our recovery stories
- Session 7 – Communication skills
- Session 8 – Using our experiences in the peer relationship
- Session 9 – Resourcing ourselves peer support toolkit
For further information about the course, or to view and download all of the resources, please visit the SRN pages: