This year, Scottish Government will start delivering the first of the new Scottish disability benefits.
Child Disability Payment, which replaces the UK Government’s Child Disability Living Allowance, will be introduced this summer as part of a pilot, will be introduced this summer, ahead of full roll-out across Scotland from this autumn. It will be followed next year by Adult Disability Payment, which replaces Personal Independent Payment (PIP).
There are many areas of the current system that Scottish Government wants to improve on, aiming to create a system that is centred on the needs of disabled people from the application stage onwards.
They are keen to give everyone the opportunity to talk directly to the people who are designing these new benefits. Throughout February and March, they will be hosting a series of online events, where interested organisations and members of the public can hear about important aspects of the new disability benefits.
These events will cover:
- a full walk-through of the new Child and Adult Disability Payments from application to appeal (in February)
- reviewing your award and what happens if your circumstances change (in February)
- blue badges, assisted vehicles and other entitlements linked to disability benefit entitlement (in February)
- how to challenge the decision on your Disability Assistance: redeterminations, appeals and Short-Term Assistance (in March)
- consultations, which will replace DWP-style PIP assessments for the minority of cases where they are needed (in March)
- how the pilot approach will work for Child Disability Payment (in March)
The exact dates for each event are still to be confirmed, but those who are interested in attending are asked to express their interest now. Events will take place on weekdays during normal working hours.
Events will be small, with a maximum of 30 people attending. Attendees will hear a short presentation from staff about the topic, followed by an opportunity for them to comment and ask questions.
If you would like to attend, please contact the team by email (making sure to mention which topics you are interested in): firstname.lastname@example.org
Scottish Government colleagues will contact you with confirmation once the session date and time is available. Please also feel free to suggest other aspects of the new Scottish disability benefits you there should be sessions on, using the same email address as above.