Individuals, parents and families affected by historical adoption practices in Scotland (especially during the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s) are being asked to share their experiences.
The responses will help Ministers as they continue to explore how those affected can best be supported.
A phone line has also been set up in, collaboration with Health in Mind, to support people who are taking part, or who are considering taking part, in the questionnaire. Those staffing the line have knowledge and understanding of trauma and its impacts.
This dedicated helpline is available Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 10am – 3pm, by phone: 0774 174 3971.
Minister for Children and Young People, Clare Haughey, MSP, said:
“It is heart-breaking that in the past there were practices which resulted in some women feeling forced to give up their children. The lives of those women, their sons, daughters and wider families have been profoundly changed by the experience, and I offer my sincere sympathies to them.
“As I have previously said, this issue deserves to be looked at properly. That is why I am very keen to hear from those with direct experience. I have already held several meetings with some of those affected and I hope to learn more through this questionnaire and webpage.
“Listening to these voices will help us to understand what support and action is needed. The last thing I want to do is to ask those affected to revisit the trauma it caused them, but, if they feel able, I would encourage them to give their views and share their experiences.
“I hope we can work together to explore next steps.”
For further information, including other support available, please visit the new, dedicated page.
Alternatively, to complete the questionnaire, visit the Microsoft Form.