Falkirk Community Trust are taking part in the Falkirk Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) Project. Falkirk THI is a grant giving programme which aims to regenerate Falkirk Town Centre by repairing, restoring and preserving the area’s heritage features and historic buildings, while engaging the community with their local heritage.
As part of this project, Falkirk Community Trust have 3 new short term volunteering opportunities, detailed below. All opportunities are open to those aged 16 and over.
The Trust are looking for friendly event volunteers to assist with their Let’s Build Lego family drop-in event across Doors Open Day weekend (Saturday 17th – Sunday 18th September).
This will involve playing with LEGO/Duplo/soft bricks in the event space and helping families make and display a model of their own design, giving out Falkirk THI bags and information, and generally helping welcome visitors, provide information on the activities and keep an eye on materials and numbers.
Event volunteers will be expected to:
- Greet families and visitors and encourage them to take part in the activities
- Helping families and visitors with brick materials, instructions, inspiration and techniques
- Monitoring the numbers of participants and materials
- Assist the Falkirk THI Heritage Engagement Officer in the safe and smooth running of event
- Set up and tidy up as required
- Report any verbal and written feedback to the Falkirk THI Heritage Engagement Officer
- Giving out Falkirk THI bags and information as families leave event space
This opportunity will be based in the Howgate Shopping Centre, Falkirk, on Saturday 17th September from 10:30am – 3:30pm and Sunday 18th September from 10:30am – 3:30pm.
Tour Guide Volunteers
Falkirk Community Trust would like to establish a group of volunteers to deliver walking tours around Falkirk’s historic town centre. The tours will be at specified times and by request; volunteers will be on a flexible rota.
They will expect volunteer tour guides to:
- Lead tours of Falkirk historic town centre for various groups
- Be able to answer questions from participants, or direct them to an appropriate source of information
- Report any verbal and written feedback from the tour to their Volunteer Supervisor
- Have a good knowledge Falkirk’s history and feel confident sharing and presenting this with the public. (Training on the town’s history will be provided.)
- Promote Falkirk Heritage Town Trail App (currently under development)
Falkirk Community Trust want their volunteers to enjoy their time spent with the Trust, so volunteers can give as much or as little time as they want. They can volunteer as many days a week as they like for a three hour slot, either 10am – 1pm or 1pm – 4pm Monday to Saturday.
This opportunity will be based in Falkirk Town Centre. It will run from Monday 12th September 2016 until Saturday 26th November 2016.
The Trust are also seeking volunteers to support their exhibition programme and help at their new temporary exhibition, “Falkirk’s Shops”.
This would be an opportunity to learn more about Falkirk’s history, gain new skills and meet people with similar interests. It would suit someone who has or wants to develop their communication skills.
Falkirk Community Trust will expect exhibition volunteers to:
- Open and close the exhibition space
- Welcome visitors to the exhibition, discuss the exhibition with them and help answer any questions or direct them to an appropriate source of information. (All information will be provided at induction meeting.)
- Using materials provided keep track of the number of visitors to the exhibition.
- Ensure the safety of museum objects on display (all objects will be in locked cases or behind barriers).
- Encourage visitors to complete exhibition feedback cards. and collect any stories that visitors have shared.
As with the previous opportunity, volunteers can give as much or as little time as they want and can volunteer as many days a week as they like for a three hour slot, either 10am – 1pm or 1pm – 4pm Monday to Saturday.
This opportunity will take place in the old Yankee Candy unit, Howgate Shopping Centre, Falkirk. It will run from Monday 12th September 2016 until Saturday 26th November 2016.
For further information regarding any of these opportunities, please contact the Volunteer Team by phone: 01324 692000, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org